Saturday, June 2, 2012

Day One

And thats when I stuck my head out the limousine window and barfed all over the streets of Brooklyn. Oh wait, let me back up a little bit.

So my outbound flight from SLC to JFK Airport was delayed to fix the air conditioning unit and let me tell you, that AC must have been severely jacked up because it took about 2 hours and 45 minutes to fix! Take sitting that long before the flight, plus the sour/pungent stench of body odor on the plane, plus a little kitten named Bow-dann riding in the seat next to me (I'm extremely allergic to cats) and it was a pretty miserable flight. I probably slept through four or five songs the whole flight. Things started to shape up after we landed. I had arranged for a ride with CARmel limousine service to take me to my Brooklyn apartment and they were very punctual. It was without a doubt the best $50 dollars I spent so far this trip. The driver was a very polite man of asian decent, and he hardly spoke any english whatsoever. I spelled the word "Maujer" for him about 8 times before he felt confident that he knew where he was going. We had driven for about 10 minutes and the muggy heat, the cat allergies, the sleep deprivation, the low blood sugar, the motion sickness, the stress, and the excitement all hit me like a bag of sweaty beanie babies. And yes, that is when I stuck my head out the limousine window and barfed all over the streets of Brooklyn.

I think that was my personal pinnacle of the day because everything was smooth sailing from there on out. My bedroom is relatively spacious and our apartment building has a workout room, a game room with pool tables and other games, and a roof with a gorgeous view of the Manhattan city skyline. Before the trip i invested in a new iPhone and that was divinely inspired. I've used it constantly. It has helped me to look up addresses, use maps, take pictures, and facetime with my beautiful wife! My room mate Jensen has been really helpful. He was the one that told me about CARmel and also told me about an app called NYCMate which uploads updated maps of the subway system. This is particularly helpful because then you can use them on the subway when you have no internet connection. So once I came home, showered, and slept for a few hours, I grabbed some Subway and went grocery shopping. "Grocery stores" here in the city are pretty funny. They are about 5 isles wide and everything is so jam packed. Each isle is only about one person wide. My final adventure of the night was to take the trip to Penguin on the L line to make sure I could handle getting there without the stress of being late for my first day on Monday. Gratefully it's pretty much a straight shot with only one transfer. The app iTrans NYC has been helpful because it will map out a good route for you to take on the subway. It syncs with your map also so you can track your location. I think it was 3.99 in the app store but I think it's worth it.

So tomorrow I've got church and a day to gear up for one of the most exciting days of my life...






A screen capture of the very helpful iTrans NYC app


Kitchen


Living Room


Bedroom



Game room



View from the roof


My glorious view and me


The facade of my apartment entrance. Looks quite a bit like a prison. 


Penguin Publishing, or in my words...Penguishing!

1 comment:

  1. Penguishing. Haha. Cant wait to hear more. Thanks for all the pics. Keep it up so I can enjoy it with you.

    ReplyDelete